Saturday, January 19, 2008

Bouncy Disney.

I'm splitting the blog up. Don't expect it to make much sense. I can't focus on any one thing. As I write this, I am chatting to two people, reading four different blogs and thinking about all the different things I should write another blog on. So...Enjoy.

Something I've been wanting to do is a post on has been my trip to Disneyland. It was a total blast. I think I've said as much in a previous post. I had a few bumps in the trip. I also met one of my awesome friends that I met because of diabetes. As far as the bumps. I was at the House of Blues in Downtown Disney. I had decided I was going to indulge and order myself a big carb filled chocolate mousse cheesecake. After I ordered the cake I asked the waitress if she might possibly have a carb count for the dessert. She gave an almost comical blank stare and then asked what a carb was. I tried very hard not to laugh. I explained that I was looking for some nutrition facts. Another blank stare.

"Why would you want to know that?" She asked with a great deal of confusion.

"She's diabetic. She needs to figure out how much insulin to take." Awesome Aunt told her.

"I was just wondering if you guys had the count so I could be a bit more precise with my insulin. It makes it easier if I don't have to guess." I explained.

I swear her eyes bugged out. "You're diabetic and you're going to eat that!!!"

"Yes."

"Well if you kill yourself, it's not my fault." (Yes, she honestly said this.)

Well I ate that whole cake and I highly enjoyed it. And guess what. Two hours later I had a lovely 129 staring back at me from the meter. Probably one of the best blood sugars I had on the whole trip.

All throughout the trip I had a blast. One of the funnier things that happened was on the Tower of Terror. On one of our previous rides my aunt had commented on how her purse kept flying up. I wanted to see the gravity defying act so I as we rode it a second time I let my coat fly a bit. I was thoroughly enjoying watching my coat just hang in the air. When we finished the ride and the elevator doors opened the lady stepped in and did the normal spiel about having a great ride and then she looked straight at me.

"Oh, and Ma'am would you please hold on to your coat next time. You hit our camera."

The three of us got quite a kick out of that.


While on this trip I got to meet one of my online friends. I met her through her parents on a yahoo group. We had a bit of correspondence and I offered to talk to their daughter. We eventually got in touch. We got to know each other a bit. We both were diagnosed the same day. We're both crazy and totally off our rockers. So when I planned out this trip to Disneyland, visiting Sky came up. We worked out the times and met. We had a hard time finding a place to eat but we ended up at the hotel restaurant. Sky and I tested our blood sugars and compared. Her's was better which she proudly shared. Then we both did our shots, she with a pen, me with my good old syringe and vial.

After dinner we were all craving some ice cream so we hit up Hagen Daaz. We took wild boluses and thoroughly enjoyed it. (Hey, I never said was a great example.) Then the three of us (Giggles, Sky and I) totally acted the part of Looney's. (Might have had something to do with the amount of sugar we had just consumed.) We were goofing off and totally not acting our ages. When we had to say our good bye's it was hard. We had only met that night but I felt like we had known each other for ages. I usually hate the fact that I got diabetes but that night I couldn't have been happier to be a diabetic.

So here's some crazy pics of us.



Me and Sky totally enjoying ourselves at dinner.



The amazing Sky!! Ain't she a doll?

Sky's parents and my Awesome Aunt.


LOL

Sometimes it's all worth it for the friends we make.

No comments: