Monday, September 29, 2008

"You're not dying."

Well yes, I know that. And that's not why I'm checking my pump so often.

The other day, one of my co-workers suddenly asked why I was so paranoid. I asked what she meant.

"Well you look at your pump like every five minutes, what the heck are you doing? It's not like if you don't check it, you'll keel over and die."

I looked at her for a moment, trying to sort the three ridiculous emotions that instantly flaired. The first was to laugh uncontrolably at her naive assumption, the second was oddly enough feeling irritation, because if I was checking my blood sugar or something that often, obviously, I shouldn't worry so much about my health. The last was kinda hurt.

But I marshalled all those random emotions, and pulled out my pump, showing her the screen. "Ah, I can see why you'd be so confused, actually, if you hadn't noticed, I don't wear a watch. My pump has a clock on it."

I swear you could see the lightbulb as it suddenly made sense.

Pumps are making the wristwatch obsolete. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think cellphones did years ago... but then, lots of us have a tendency to leave our cellphones someplace other than on-our-bodies unless we're out somewhere.

Jess said...

Yeah, lol, I know, just being ridiculous about that. It was a comment between Kerri Sparling and her brother that I was referencing.